Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Tonsillectomy - Day 1 (07/22/2008)

Today was a day of firsts for me. Never had surgery, never been under anesthesia (that I know of). Never had someone send me home with a narcotic (thank you Dr. Fenwick). Heck, before today, I never had an IV in.

During last week’s pre-admission meeting/screening they gave me surgical scrub to wash my body with the night before and the morning of the surgery. The pamphlet they gave me said to make sure to thoroughly clean the area to that will be operated on. Sure… but, I might need a different kind of narcotics before I start scrubbing on my large and infected tonsils.

But, I did disinfect the rest of my body with that stuff, put on my “fat guy” jeans, grabbed my laptop and Bible and we were off.

We dropped the baby-lumpkins at her Aunt Christie’s where we saw Poppy (my dad) and Pastor Ayub who is the pastor at Deliverance Church in North Nakura, Kenya. We first met Ayub on our trip to Africa in October of 2006. My Brother (Ayub) and Father prayed for me. It was neat having two pastors pray for me before the operation.

After that, we were off to the Hospital for our 11:30 arrival time. It wasn’t till we got there that someone told us that I wouldn’t be in for surgery until after 2:30. Grrr. But I did have my beautiful and wonderful wife to keep me company.

Shortly after I arrived, the first nurse started my IV. I got fluids, which I desperately need since had nothing to eat or drink since 10pm the night before. She also gave me an anti-inflammatory intended to help shrink my tonsils prior to removing them. As she was injecting it she said “Now, about half the people I give this to will get…” what she called …”Ants in the Pants.”I took that to mean I'd have an adrenaline surge and that I might need to run around the room with my rear end showing out the back of my hospital gown. No, that’s not at all what she meant. Suddenly, I felt the need to scratch… ya know… the “area.” I didn’t have “ants in the pants” so much as I had fire ants snapping at my Satchel Paige… if you know what I mean.

Sometime just before 3pm, the nurse gave me the “woozy” pre-meds. It felt pretty good but it wasn’t as wonderful as everyone made out to be. By that point, I didn’t care. I just wanted to get it over with.

They wheeled me into the OR and had me switch tables. They stuck several sensors on my chest and back, and then let me breathe in some oxygen while they gave me the anesthesia.

That’s all I remember.

The next thing I know, an hour had passed and the nurse in the recovery room woke me up with the news that my tonsils are gone!

I was really groggy at the time but also very happy/relieved that everything went well. My gown was untied which, now that I think of it, is a tad disconcerting. Other than that, tonsils notwithstanding, everything was still in its place.

Dr. Fenwick’s tonsil removal method of choice is Coblation which uses radiofrequency and a saline-solution at relatively low temp to create an ionized reaction that will separate tissue without burning (like a laser) or slicing with a knife. The procedure cauterizes as it cuts which should speed up the healing process. *fingers crossed*

If not for my VERY enlarged uvula, I would have felt great after the operation. They gave me water, apple juice and some Jello afterward and I scarfed it.

Later, I went to bed without a whole lot pain. I’m sure that will all change in the next couple of days.

No comments: