Monday, July 28, 2008

Tonsillectomy - Days 4, 5 and 6

These days are notorious for being the worst part of the pain. And it is, indeed, painful.

However, I think it’s important to note the kind of pain you experience after a tonsillectomy. It’s not a constant, unbearable pain. For the most part it’s annoying. When not talking or eating, the pain is actually manageable even when you’re not on pain medications.

Ah, but then comes the time when it’s customary for humans to eat or talk. It feels like a real work out. Dull pain, then sharp pain… you wait a few moments to let your mouth rest. When eating (and you only dare eat mushy foods) you’ll quickly learn to take small bites. Large bites require disengaging your jaw, stretching every part of your mouth including those cauterized cavities where your tonsils used to live.

Likewise, talking is a mouth stretcher as well. My uvula is still very swollen and very sore and hurts when I talk. What’s more, the strange sound that comes out when I talk almost makes me laugh… but laughing would be a mistake as well. I really hope this dorky voice is temporary.

Other hazards include coughing, yawning, sneezing (do WHATEVER you have to do to avoid sneezing) and blowing your nose. All of these create air pressure in the back of your mouth which is not fun at all.

On days 5 and 6 I started getting pain in my ears. I heard about this beforehand and experiencing it is no fun. But, to be honest, it’s a dull pain that isn’t much different than the ear pain my tonsils were causing before they flew the coup.
At this point, I’m just tired of not being myself. I’m ready to be back to normal.

It’s amazing how much you miss crunchy foods when you can’t have them. I have a list of several delicious, fatty and/or spicy foods I would love to have right now…

• Chicken Curry w/ Samosas
• A Meat-Lovers Pan Pizza from Pizza Hut
• A Chili Cheese Burrito from Taco Bell
• Original Wings from WingStop
• The Ribeye from Steak and Ale
• A Calzone from Angeli’s
• Oreos
• White Castles and an Orange Soda (well, that one’s always on the list)
• A box of Krispy Kremes

One more item of note: I woke up on days 4 and 5 with red splotches on my white “scars.” It’s as if part of what cauterized came off during the night and left a real scab. It doesn’t hurt (well, not any more than it already does) but I did not expect to see that. I’ll have to check with Dr about that when I have my follow-up appointment next week.

Tomorrow I’ll be back at work! Fantastical!!

1 comment:

Ken said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.